With so many farm stands, country store delis and maple creemee stands, it is hard to imagine going hungry on your Vermont vacation. And, with so much good cheese around, sometimes a simple picnic is in order. Here we are sharing a few of our favorite place to pick up picnic provisions and a few of our favorite informal spots to enjoy them.
Top 5 Picnic Spots in Bennington
1. The Burt Henry Bridge
Approximately five minutes by car from the Four Chimneys Inn.
Arguably one of Vermont prettiest bridges ever. You’ll find a sprinkling of picnic tables, grills and plenty of shade. Generally speaking, this is not a crowded spot (surprisingly!) so there are just enough parking spots. Best of all there is a make-shift path to the Walloomsac river that runs under the bridge. A great spot to fish, walk on the river stones or snap pictures. Judging by the number of times I see fly-fishermen under the bridge, I’m guessing this is a robust fishing spot.
2. The Bennington Battle Monument.
Approximately three minutes by car from the Four Chimneys Inn.
While only a single picnic table, the expensive lawn is perfect for making your own spread. Historic homes surround the square. Beautiful views of Mt. Equinox and the Green Mountains dot the horizon. While the monument is a short and beautiful walk from the Four Chimneys Inn, there are also ample parking spaces there. The Bennington Battle Monument commemorates the green mountain boys of the American revolutionary war. The Battle of Bennington was the turning point of America’s battle for independence. For a few dollars you can go up the elevator and experience the museum. And don’t forget the gift shop for a wide variety of Vermont gifts and remembrances.
3. Woodford State Park
Approximately 15 minutes by car from the Four Chimneys Inn.
142 State Park Road, Bennington, Vermont (Off of Route 9, just east of Bennington)
A gorgeous mountain lake with a sprinkling of picnic tables, grills and restroom access. A terrific spot to bring your own kayak canoe or paddleboard. There is a giant rock in the middle of the lake that is fun to swim out to and a path around the lake for a post-picnic hike.
4. Downtown Pocket Park
Approximately 5 minutes by car from the Four Chimneys Inn.
215 South Street, Downtown Bennington Vermont
Tables and chairs surround a beautiful fountain at this downtown park tucked between the Old Blacksmith’s shop and the County Courthouse. A serene place to take a break from browsing Bennington’s one-of-a-kind downtown shops. Bring a box lunch from Elm Street Market, or picnic city-style with some street tacos at the neighboring Avocado Pit, fresh Mex, restaurant.
5. Robert Frost Stone House Museum and Hiking Trail
Approximately 12 minutes by car from the Four Chimneys Inn.
121 Historic Route 7A , Shaftsbury, Vermont
Perfect for a back-pack picnic. While there are no picnic tables, there is a beautiful trail between the Stone House and Lake Paran. Along the way you’ll find a covered foot bridge perfect to sit and eat lunch in a peaceful nature setting.
More Bennington Picnic Spots Worth Mentioning
- Lake Shaftesbury State Park.
- Hildene, the Lincoln family home
Tour the gorgeous estate of Robert Todd Lincoln. While there is a beautiful gift shop, there is no restaurant on site. We recommend bringing an Elm Street Market box lunch and dine a fresco in the Hildene picnic area. Discounted tickets are available when you book your room at the Four Chimneys Inn.
- Willow Park
Two picnic pavilions with grills make a great setting for family reunions and other events. Plus Willow Park has restrooms, a playground for the littles, Frisbee golf and a horseshoe pit.
- The town square in North Bennington. A beautiful fountain with surrounding benches. Located directly across from the majestic Powers Market Deli.
Best Picnic Provisions in Bennington
- Elm Street Market. A wonderful deli with boars head deli meats and a wide selection of Vermont-made goodies. Box lunches are picnic ready. Wine and Espresso too!
2. Powers Market A true country deli with great sandwiches, cookies and other fresh baked goods. Iconic Vermont country deli with country store vibes on a beautiful Village Square in north Bennington.
3. Bennington Farmers Market. Pick and choose your favorite fresh grown and fresh baked picnic fixings. Read our Bennington Farmer’s Market blog to learn more.
4. Park McCullough Mansion Farmers’ Market. Read our Park McCullough Mansion blog to learn more.
5. The Graze Board & Co. Pre-order a Charcuterie board for a perfect light picnic. Follow them on Instagram @thegrazeboardandco
Book early as our Vermont Bed and Breakfast fills up quickly during the summer and fall seasons. Find your favorite room at The Four Chimneys Inn and give us a call. (802) 447-3500 9 am – 9pm. Relaxing getaways in Vermont are our thing, so let us help you plan yours. Hope to meet you soon!Book Now